Pages

Friday 15 November 2013

Paleo


Ever since I returned from my holiday, I have been trying out the paleo diet. My main reason for trying this out was that I needed to loose a bit of weight. not much mind you but just a couple of pounds, so my sport shooting gear would fit again. A few weeks ago I started sport shooting again and while I still had my equipment in turns of trousers, gloves, jacket etc. The trousers didn't fit 100%. Now when I bought those I was like 17 years old, so you might say of course they will not fit anymore but, they cost about 500 Euros at that time and I don't feel like investing that amount of money again, when I now only do this sport for the fun, not on the professional level I did when I was 18.

I usually eat quite healthy using mainly whole foods but the reviews from paleo sounded quite good, so I thought I give it a try. Now mind you I did not eat 100% paleo diet but a 95% diet, as I had a few potatoes about once a week but even then, I kept them to a minimum.

Now for those of you not familiar with Paleo, paleo avoids (cereal) grains, legumes, dairy, potatoes, refined sugar and vegetable oil, processed foods and salt.

Things worked quite well and I lost about 5 kilos in the first week and approx. 1kilo each week after that. I only wanted to loose about 5 kilos in total, so was quite happy with that. One of the things I noticed was that I was not as hungry as I used to be, especially in the mornings. Before eating paleo, I had the typical German breakfast of bread and rolls each morning and then a second breakfast with bread while at work, before having lunch and later on dinner. Come food time I was always hungry. When I started with paleo, I had either eggs or bacon in the morning and some nuts or fruits for a snack between breakfast and lunch. This worked amazing and I wasn't feeling hungry all the time.

Today I was lazy in the morning (due to the flu hitting me badly) and decided to go for the bread and rolls instead. Big mistake I tell you, I was hungry all day and just kept eating and eating...

So I figured that it's the grains that keep me hungry. I am not planning on eating paleo for the rest of my life but I plan to cut short on grains in general. I am not eating much refined sugar anyway, so that should not be a problem. I will keep some basics of the paleo diet but adapt it to my needs.


No comments:

Post a Comment